Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The POLE-ITE Girls!

Of late, the evolution of different internet portals such as Youtube has offset a new era in performance arts, wherein performers - particularly unconventional ones - do not just rely upon auditions, agents and nods from giant production corporations to access an audience. Most of them can freely flaunt their talent or lack thereof upon the internet, accessible by millions at a click. One such bunch of people come out with an online mini-series called the ELEVATOR that I enjoy during breaks in my work.

The other, more fascinating, bunch that I came across was the "POLE-ITE GIRLS!". Their most popular video - the one that brought them stardom & a Fox News interview - was shot at the NYC Subway. They claim to be a conglomeration of freelance artists who create videos that bring many kinds of pleasure to the bored and joblessly employed such as myself, and showcase faboulous talent simultaneously. Also its interesting to note the reaction of their impromptu audience, especially the difference between the men and the women. Its safe to say that although their target audience is the entire world, their true fans are predominantly male.

Here's how they choose to describe themselves on their webpage.

THE POLE-ITE GIRLS! is a sexy new web series that integrates dance, music, fashion, & story into a cutting-edge piece of contemporary culture. THE POLE-ITE GIRLS! brings different collaborators and artists into each episode keeping the flavor fresh, fun, & exciting. But underneath the surface, THE POLE-ITE GIRLS! challenge the ideas and standards of our culture by bringing dance into a public space. Subways, streets, & public transit systems all over the world will be their playground & the lucky passengers & passersby will be shocked, entertained, & tantalized by their skills.

I wish I'd met such women during my time in college. Unfortunately I didn't and now all I can do is make up for lost time by drooling at them on Youtube, while I'm actually supposed to be filing some poor bastard's trademark.

On a more serious note, I love these girls and truly dig what they've started. I further believe such endevours should be encouraged.

Hope you, my reader, like it too. Cheers.

3 comments:

Atul Vishwanathan said...

interesting find.. thanks...

rorschach said...

you're welcome.

ISIS MASOUD said...

Hey Man thanks for the blog love! We just posted our 3rd episode of THE POLE-ITE GIRLS!

Check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdr5-exdvFw

and find more fun here:
pole-itegirls.com