Thursday, August 6, 2009

Of rainwashed Gods and rainsoaked Phlegm

It was pouring in Calcutta this morning. The images of worship - I've seen Jesus, Kali and Shiva on different days - drawn on the pavement at the Woodburn Park Rd.-Forum turning with crude colours by the resident beggar, in order to induce passers-by to donate their loose change, had been washed clean; returning the pavement to being just a pavement. People usually avoided stepping on the images, irrespective of whether they spared any money for the artist or not. This morning the pathway being free of its Gods was stamped upon and used to the fullest by the scampering public on their way to work, school or a morning show at Forum.

Also while on a smoke break, I witnessed a crow nibbling at someone's phlegm/spit floating in a puddle of rainwater with great gusto. It is by far the most disgusting activity I've known any living creature to participate in. The crow didn't seem share my opinion, nor did it pay me any attention while I sat and smoked two feet away from it. It kept at it the entire time in which I finished my cigarette and tea. Nibbling at phlegm soaked in rainwater must be the in thing this season in a crow's world.

No comments: