Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ramble Tamble

I don't think Slumdog Millionaire deserved 8 Oscars. I think the Oscars are a goddamn feel good party, just like everything else these days. No matter how much the shit stinks, people are still gonna make believe that the air freshener is working. Well its not, and I'm sick of people trying to make it work. I mean look at us, we are so dependant on a romantic notion of an artificial happiness/goodness that we laud the most mediocre works to heights which they do not deserve; when we want to fight terror we look to the same people who created terrorists to help us, in a job crunch situation people are still looking for jobs in the same system that went bust, and the world around us won't stop fighting just cause its broke. We still got 'em bullets baby!! Here they come.

I wonder why we humans find it so hard to accept the fact that things are just the way they are, which is not always the way we expect them to be?

3 comments:

The Reluctant Rebel said...

In other words, shit happens.

The Comedian said...

I completely agree that Slumdog did not deserve at least half the Oscars that it got, but that's not the point here.

The point is that we laud mediocrity not because we want to fool ourselves but because deep down inside, we all feel mediocre and average and if we can believe, just for a moment, that mediocrity can bend its way towards greatness then we are that much better for it.

Man is happy only because he truly believes he will be soon.

rorschach said...

@ saha : yes, shit does happen.

@ comedian : i think in life we all get certain resources and certain limitations. no one is born equal. and as mentioned earlier, shit happens. in this scenario i find it more worthwhile to look around me, find the truth as I see it, and do the best I can within/without my means, to be happy.
I cannot go chasing a manufactured notion of happiness, nor do I feel it can be used to justify rewarding mediocre works of art. we reward great films with Oscars because we know we are mediocre and not all of us can make an Oscar winning film. Apparently thats not the criteria anymore. The Criteria seems to be which film winning will satisfy the most people.