Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Of Attitude


















While growing older I have been influenced by certain things around me that have helped me deal with and shape my new self after shedding the former skin of innocence. Of all these 'things', music has cast the most profound and everlasting shadow upon me. I have worshipped many artistes and lived through various phases of tastes in music. However, certain artistes have bled certain characteristics/perspectives in me, that I find today governs most of the choices I am asked to make.

In my college most of my time is spent listening to music/blues in different states of conciousness. For someone who's made most of his mistakes because of some stoned rocker's lyrics or some drunken Texan's guitar playing, my blog reflects too little about my musical inclinations.

In this post I thought of showcasing an artiste whose life (whatever little I've read off it) and guitar playing have shown me the meaning of the term 'Attitude'. Above is Keith Richards, then & now. Its not to say that its the kind of attitude I like to portray or rather that it in itself is the "right" attitude. But rather this is to say that amongst all the people I have heard or met, this is the man who defines the word for me.

He had to say the following on hearing the news of his bandmate and long time friend Mick Jagger recieving the knighthood. "I thought it was ludicrous to take one of those gongs from the Establishment ... It's not what the Stones is about, is it? ... I don't want to step out on stage with someone wearing a f*****g coronet and sporting the old ermine. I told Mick, 'It's a f*****g paltry honour".

One of my acquaintances once commented that rockstars have this weird ability of making something incredibly stupid sound incredibily profound and cool sometimes. I don't know but somehow the image of a 65 year old showing the finger brings a smile to my face. Cheers.

2 comments:

The Comedian said...

Speaking of the wines in the cellar, watch Gran Torino...

rorschach said...

man i watched gran torino. its alright. old clint is gonna remain a tough guy till God beats him to it.