Thursday, December 11, 2008

Of Internships and The End of an Era

This is my last morning in office. My internship at EnY ends today and with it comes to an end the "Age of being an Intern", for this stint was my last internship (I've done 8). After this I shall be expected to sit for Campus Recruiments next month and then hopefully begin the working class life.
In all the trial runs of being a working man that I've had before the erstwhile internship, I had enjoyed my 1st internship at ICHRL the most. Primarily for 3 reasons:
1) I got to travel all over Maharashtra conducting a survey. Travel basically.
2) I got to travel with 3 very pretty women.
3) I loved the work I did, and was good at it. Made an impression on my colleagues and am still in touch with most of them.
Its strange now that from a career perspective I cannot do a similar internship, ie. not work in a NGO. From my 3rd year onwards I focussed more on law firms/corporates/banks to find work. And I did get opprtunities in decent places, however nothing was quite like ICHRL.
I didn't come to Bangalore with any hopes of "enjoying" my work. I came to work, and to impress and thereby assuring myself a job in this firm. However, being a large office I got to meet a lot of people here and from different academic backgrounds such as CAs and BBMs. And strangely I found myself having fun working with them. Its not like the work was great or really really fascinating. But it was more like 'boss work is work, we have to get it done but no point not having fun while we're at it'. People at EY hang out in groups, and I found myself a chilled out bunch of people across departments to hang out with (or rather they found me). We played pranks, shared cigarettes, pulled each other's legs, shared info on pretty chics in office, and competed with one another on cracking the worst jokes ever. Good fun.
I really liked my stint at EY and would put this last internship of mine right up there with my first. Life's come a full circle I guess, and whereever I am I do hope to meet these guys again.
I was also thinking, just to give people a hint of these new acquaintances I've made, what some of them would be like if I had met them in a fantasy novel set in the medieval times. The times of kings and courtiers. I think they would be;
1) Imran : Definitely the court jester.
2) Shriya : The matron. Sweetness overflowing.
3) Thomas : The stud boy. Medieval or modern, Tommy always gets to be the stud boy.
4) Mohit (Suzy) : The court pansy.
5) Jomu : The King's private dealer.
6) Saket : The wise Vizar.
Cheers to them all. And maybe some alcohol tonight. God Bless.

4 comments:

The Reluctant Rebel said...

Glad to know you liked it. Defied all expectations.

rorschach said...

yes it did. I especially liked the crowd at my dept. they're fucking football hooligans disguised as tax consultants.

The Reluctant Rebel said...

I have a theory that all tax consultants are hooligans of some sort. You got to be some sort of psycho to sit in a dark room everyday poring over language incomprehensible to most of the world.

rorschach said...

:) possible.