Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mellow Yellow Evenings

Ever noticed the brightness of a city after sunset? I'm not sure, but while taking a long city walk (from Rabindra Sarovar to Theatre Rd.) it suddenly struck me that the evening lighting in Calcutta, ie. the streetlights, are far mellower than that of other cities that I've been to recently. Atleast this winter. Its not that there isn't sufficient lighting, although one does pass through certain areas that are left in the darkness (eg. next to Poddopukur, today there were no streelights) which is not so bad thanks to the numerous car headlights that invade the street. But in general, compared to the Bangalore and Hyderabad, this time's Calcutta winter evening seems beautifully mellow in just the perfect amount of yellow streetlight. Also it could be because of pollution leading to smog. But its beautiful nevertheless. Beautiful the way the streets reflect the yellow shine of its tar, and pavement roll/chow shops illuminate the way for pedestrians with their 100 watt bulbs hanging off their store ceilings; and its a continuum of mellow yellowness surrounding the walking man.
Walking down the streets of Calcutta I can't help but notice how the city is full of pictures. One is surrounded by images. Images of what kind I cannot say (I am not a photographer), but I haven't noticed such perfection of black and white stills ready and waiting to be captured in any other city. And they simply pass you by, like walking through a rolling still documentary. From the rickshaw-wallahs waiting outside Bhobani cinema with its Bhojpuri movie advertisement outside, to the jumping jack flames from underneath a slightly titled tawa, to the annoyed little boy/girl (I couldn't figure out) trying to grab a bite out of his/her candy floss as his mother tries to adjust his/her maanki cap (monkey cap).
There is a certain beauty in the pictures and stories and the life of this city that appeals to me in a way no other place ever has. And I know I am home.

2 comments:

Atul Vishwanathan said...

nice description there.. cal is one of the cities i havent been to..

rorschach said...

you should rectify that as soon as you can.