Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Blah Blah Blah

Winter in Calcutta is like one of those albums that have withstood the test of age for an individual. The ones which are played when nothing in particular comes to mind. They're always secure, warm and often nostalgic. I'm glad its winter now. The season seems to be the only thing beautiful enough to be distracting me from my current obsession that is MYSELF.

And its always been beautiful, especially during the evenings.

Watched a lot of films this weekend. First up was Ninja Assassin. There are bad films and then there are films which are so bad that they're awesome!! NA falls in the latter category for me. Absolutely brilliant. Loved the fight sequences and the painful way in which they tried to show the emotional turmoil of the hero's early years. Was non-stop action and comedy. Plus I'm a sucker for swords and other sharp objects being used as weapons, especially against the gun touting white man.

And this one had a chain-sickle. Too-fucking-cool.

It doesn't compare to Ong Bak though. I watched the second part of the trilogy and was mesmerized. Tony Jaa is the best. And it literally kicks ass of all high budget hollywood action films due to the sheer intensity of the violence it reveals. Have a newfound admiration for Muay Thai. Must get me hands on the other Ong Baks.

I also watched The Dog Problem on TV because I had nothing better to do. Loved it. Its rare to find comedy acts that make you laugh at life and not at cheap jokes. Want to watch this one again without the intervention of dad wanting to watch the headlines every ten minutes.

Last but not the least Anari No.1. Govinda Rocks. Period.

No winter is complete without the consumption of dark rum in copious amounts. Mission was accomplished last Saturday wherein the frivolity of promises I make to myself was revealed yet again. I'd promised myself not to drink beyond 3 pegs, but then ...I lost count. But it felt good. Still I have decided not to partake liquor in any form anymore.

Atleast till Christmas.

Cheers.

1 comment:

peter pan said...

i was kinda sleepy as i started reading this and all of a sudden the third-last sentence shook me awake.

spot-on about the old-album-feeling though.