Monday, September 21, 2009

Of Fried Notes (Rainwashed City)

Today was another rainsoaked day. Beautiful. I could only spare time for lunch late in the afternoon, and as a result most of the regular roadside stalls I visit to buy my daily lunch had run out of food. All but this one South Indian joint near the Rabindra Sadan Metro Stn.
In return to my 50 bucks the stall owner had 3 wet Rs.10 notes which I refused to accept. He very sweetly asked me to wait a moment in which he finished cooking the Dosa for a waiting customer, scraped it off the tawa and proceeded to put the wet notes on the frying pan and literally fry them like rotis before my very eyes while smiling sheepishly. He did the whole routine including turning the notes over and heating both sides and finally returned them to me crisp and dry.

My first fried currency ever. Calcutta as usual never ceases to amaze.

2 comments:

Clezevra said...

That has got be first... I press notes, sometimes, but fry them, not half.
Rorscach is a lovely word. At the back of my mind I know what it means.

rorschach said...

was definitely a first for me. best change i've recieved till date.

rorschach is the name for an ink test designed to infer insanity. its also the psuedonym for a comic vigilante ..walter kovacs (ref: the watchmen by alan moore)