Friday, July 17, 2009

Bandh

My life being one big long weekend now, I'd almost forgotten what it was like to be randomly blessed by an extra 24 hours to the weekend. Today, Friday the 17th, most of middle class, a-political Kolkata finds itself pleasurably cosy in their homes looking forward to some nice evening rain, late night movies on television, and an even later waking hour on Saturday morning. The reason, well we're on our first Bandh (strike) since I returned from Hyderabad.

I can see the silent relief and ease in the mannerisms of my parents even as my father lays back and watches the local news channels broadcasting buses being burnt by the Congress in protest of the Communists chasing their MLAs into paddy fields and what not. And my mother shrugging of her usual hurry and taking her time to prepare tomato-r chutney for me whilst refraining from screaming at me to "hurry up and take a bath".
Its a beautiful lazy day, today. And the best part is that we've still got two such beautiful lazy days to follow suit.

My first Bandh in the longest of times, and I'm loving it.


1 comment:

The Reluctant Rebel said...

Arrey, this is one thing I definitely miss. Random, lazy, polutionless days where one can cycle without fear of being knocked down.