Monday, August 9, 2010

Of New Delhi

I was in Delhi for a couple of nights to...well basically to live it up with a bunch of old timers who had come from 3 different cities to the nation's capital to re-live the days of the good old boy's hostel one more time. The only problem being that there were too many boys, just like in the times of the said boy's hostel.

Anyway, this short whirlwind trip to Delhi was fun to say the least. Friday saw me cross 4 state borders as I flew out of Kolkata, landed at the Delhi airport from where I was whisked away to Gurgaon to have lunch with an old school friend. Thereafter I availed the services of the Delhi Metro to get to Qutub Minar Station wherefrom an autoride took me to Barakhamba Road where I had an unscheduled meeting with an ugly sibling. Thereafter I got picked up by another friend, a proud Advocate of the Delhi High Court now, and rode away into the evening to Noida Stadium to play a football match which we arrived too late to participate in {classic kels... for the uninitiated kels is the affectionate insinuation of life giving one the proverbial kela (banana)}. In any case our team lost 8-2 to a bunch of kids from a local school who obviously weighed a good 20 kilos less than each of us and had a clean pair of lungs to go with that no doubt. Also the fact that we played the entire first half with 4 players against 7 didn't help our cause.

Saturday, turned out to be the longest day I'd lived since I left college. It commenced at 7 in the morning with a practice football match at Pandara Road, wherein I realised the exact extent of my match-unfitness, and ended at 5 next morning with a well rolled joint, rolled by yours truly. In the middle I managed to fit in going swimming, breakfast at CP, a couple of hours sleep, meeting a bunch of old timers edging to break loose of their newfound corporate sanity, a few choicest cocktails accompanied by a bottle of Black Label and a 5ltr keg of chilled Heineken, and some of the usual drunken drama that is not so usual in my life anymore. Like I said, FUN!

Just one of the many reasons I should shift to New Delhi.

2 comments:

The Comedian said...

Peh. you've sold your soul. no one WANTS to move to Delhi. well, if you gotta go see about a girl it's a different ball game.

that being said, it's still not all that bad. still has several good memories.

be that as it may. i'm back in cal in october for two months. see you then.

rorschach said...

dude i've sold my soul by coming to cal. you won't understand ya. its a law thing... all the people i lived with for 5 years and still manage to care about are in Delhi. Delhi will always be special.